All at once, experts from the US Surgeon General to the head of the American Pediatricians are commenting on the cover. It took a picture of this 26 year old stay-at-home mom nursing her son the week before Mother’s Day for them to talk about how important breastfeeding is.
They cite the 2020 Health Goals that states that at least 25% of all babies will be breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months. They talk about all of the benefits of nursing – from fewer cases of earaches and colic to less obesity in later life. Not to mention, closer bonds with mom and family.
Thank you Jamie Lynne Grumet for having the guts to say
- it’s okay to stay home with your son;
- that it’s okay to nurse longer than 6 months;
- and for willing to say that 3 years might not be enough.
So to all of the WIC programs who pass out vouchers for soy and wheat proteins and pediatricians who validate the pharmaceutical way, grab a copy of Time Magazine. Let go of your relationship with Big Pharma and large corporations whose marketing campaigns
- have let to starvation in Third World Countries when mother’s quit breastfeeding and then couldn’t afford formula
- have caused countless nights of colicky babies whose tummies couldn’t handle the chemical make-up of non-mother’s milk
- have started babies on solid foods way to early, because those babies were always hungry even after drinking their bottles.
Let’s start giving vouchers for time off to nurse, for goat’s milk when nursing isn’t an option.
For those Pro-Choice, let’s include staying home to nurse our babies.
So thank you Jamie Lynne Grumet for taking a risk and telling a truth. May your son grow up healthy and wise. Just like you.